Friday, March 16, 2018

A Stir-Fry of Greens and Mushrooms

This week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), we are cooking Greens! 
I'm cooking with Nigel Slater for this week's theme. I have a few bunches of pak choy in my garden containers that are ready to be harvested and they are perfect for this simple stir-fry dish.



Is pak choy a spring green? No idea! Ha! Instead of shredding the greens finely, I've cut them to about 2" or so in lengths. I have used fresh shiitake mushrooms and have omitted the sugar and dark soy sauce.  The pak choy already tastes great without the sugar and they do not need the dark soy sauce to cover their fresh greenness! 😁 



A simple and tasty stir-fry greens. Makes a great side dish with some fried rice and of course, with a fried egg for a complete and filling meal!




A Stir-Fry of Greens and Mushrooms
(The Kitchen Diaries II, Nigel Slater)
serves 2
3 shallots
4 cloves garlic
2 red hot chillies
150gm small closed-cup mushrooms
2 heads spring greens
3 tablespoons rapeseed or other flavourless oil
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon caster sugar (omitted)
a little dark soy sauce (omitted)
a handful of roughly torn coriander leaves

Peel and finely shred the shallots. Peel the garlic and slice it finely. Halve the chillies, discard the seeds and cut the flesh into thin shreds. Cut the mushroom in half. Shred the greens finely. This is easier when the leaves are piled on top of one anotheer and rolled up like a cigar.
Get a wok or large, thin-bottomed pan really hot. Pour in the oil and then, just as it starts to smoke, add the shallots, garlic, chillies and ginger. Stir-fry them for thirty seconds or so, till they are fragrant and just beginning to colour. Add the mushrooms and let them colour appetizingly, moving them and the aromatics around the pan regularly. Add the shredded greens and continue cooking till they have softened but are still bright and vibrant in colour - a matter of two or three minutes. Add the fish sauce, caster sugar and soy. Wait till everything is sizzling, then throw in the coriander, toss and stir, and eat immediately.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs, theme for this week
Monthly Featured Ingredient : Greens !

and 

I'm linking this post with Cookbook Countdown #27 hosted by 



5 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I love greens and your stirfry looks light yet very flavourful and delicious, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely that you have a garden. This looks like a delicious dish. I love eggs, greens and rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried to grow pak choy, I'll have to give it a go. It looks very appetizing on your plate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you made a very pretty rice bowl with the greens. I can tell we think alike. Put an egg on it and you have a whole meal.

    I enjoyed seeing your homegrown pak choy. You have such a nice garden full of goodies and I always enjoy seeing what you grow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this dish and it was delicious but home-grown pak choy would make it that much better.

    ReplyDelete