Sunday, August 14, 2016

Orange and Cardamom Jelly

This month's monthly featured chef at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) is Diana Henry. We have cooked with her two years ago, and now its time for a revisit. I have been thinking of making some orange jelly lately and found Diana Henry's, Orange Cardamom Jelly recipe from telegraph.com website.



Very easy and do not take that long to cook. Ingredients used are 2 cups of freshly squeezed orange juice, lemon juice, cardamom pods and sugar with added pectin. I have made some minor changes ; used only half of the lemon juice calls for as the oranges that I've used are sweet-sour. The sugar that was used in the recipe calls for sugar with pectin added. I don't have that, and doubt that I can find it here, and honestly I do not know exactly what that is, except that it is sugar with added pectin! A few weeks ago, I've bought a jar of Ball Real Fruit Classic Pectin, which I was so happy to find that it is now available here. Upon checking from the internet info on the usage of this pectin, I've read that to set 2 jars of half pints, the required amount is 1-1/2 tablespoons. Since this jelly recipe makes 2 half pints, I've used 1-1/2 tablespoons of the pectin mixed with about 200gm plus two tablespoons of sugar which I've reduced from the original 375gm. 


Orange juice, lemon juice, cardamom pods, sugar and pectin, mixed in a pot. 

Place pot over medium heat, stir to dissolve the sugar. Then increase the heat to high and let boil until setting point, 105C for jelly. I've used a candy thermometer and did the "wrinkle test" as well. Remove the cardamom pods and ladle the jelly into the prepared jars.

Instead of two full jars, I got one full jar of 250ml and about a third of a jar which is slightly smaller. I like that this recipe makes a small batch, which would be easier to finish up, otherwise there will be jars of jam cluttering up in the fridge! I love making jams and jellies, but it takes a while for us to finish it all up. 



Very nice! The fragrance of the cardamom is light and wonderful. This jelly is not too sweet, and sets up to the consistency that I like!  I would make this again, maybe next time I'll try with different spices, or even herbs. 



Made some Lemon Cream Scones, served with the Orange and Cardamom Jelly, with a cup of warm tea!


Orange and Cardamom Jelly
(adapted from telegraph, recipe by Diana Henry)
Makes 2 x 250ml jars
10 cardamom pods
500ml freshly squeezed orange or clementine juice
100ml lemon juice
375gm sugar with added pectin (jam sugar)

Put a small plate into the freezer (you'll need this later to test the set).
Sterilize two 250ml jars (wash in hot soapy water then put them in an oven preheated to 150C/gas mark 2 for a while, or put through a dishwasher and use when dry and still hot).
Crush the cardamom - you can keep it in the pods.
Put the juices, cardamom and sugar into a large pan and slowly bring to the boil. Stir a little to help the sugar dissolve, then whack the heat up and boil until it gets to setting point (105C on a sugar thermometer).
I do the "wrinkle test" as well as testing the temperature : when the mixture is very nearly at the right temperature take it off the heat and spoon a little on to the chilled plate.
Return it to the freezer for a few minutes. Push the mixture with your index finger. If it wrinkles, it is ready to pot; if it doesn't, put the pan back on the heat and bring to the boil again.
Skim the surface of the jam, remove the cardamom pods and ladle the jam into the warm jars.
Screw on the lids and label the jars.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week,
Monthly Featured Chef : Diana Henry



8 comments:

  1. Orange and cardamom...they remind me of holidays and I love the combo of flavour. The jelly must be really aromatic and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making small portions of food also so I can finish them fast and experiment with more recipes! This jelly looks good with the scones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very tempted to make this jelly. Haven't seen orange cardamom in the store. Perfect with cream scones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I love the flavors and so would my husband the marmalade lover. We do small batches of jam, relsihes and pickles, too. We don't room to store large batches plus I don't have to fuss with a water bath.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Orange and cardamom is such a great combination. I love Diana's jams and jellies, she always seems to put great flavors together. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great combo and would be lovely on some hot scones....or biscuits...or toast...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the orange/cardamon combo :) looks so pretty too, would make a nice gift. --- Jeniffer

    ReplyDelete