Saturday, June 11, 2016

Kimchi Pancake

I'm sharing one more of Donna Hay's recipe I've tried, for this week's theme "Monthly Featured Chef : Donna Hay" at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC).  I've made Kimchi Pancake.

Kimchi is a favourite in my house. Ever since I made my first kimchi almost two years ago, I'm hooked! There's always kimchi in my refrigerator ever since then. I have made kimchi dozens of times over the last two years. Right now, I have a new batch of kimchi in my refrigerator, which I've just made almost a week ago, and looking forward to make a pot of kimchi stew, our favourite kimchi dish. For now, it's Kimchi Pancake time.


Kimchi Pancake, served with Kimchi.


The pancake batter,  with lots of chopped scallions and chopped kimchi. After mixing everything together, the batter turns a lovely shade of red from the kimchi.



These are delicious. I've made some of the pancakes a little thicker and some a little flatter, to see which one we like. And we prefer the flatter ones! These pancakes looks rather nice with the red hue from the kimchi. I made these pancake on the weekend for a brunch snack and they are really perfect with a cup of warm tea. Do you like kimchi?


Kimchi Pancake
(from donnahay.com)
Makes 12
1-1/4 cups (185gm) self raising (self-rising) flour
2 eggs
2/3 cup (160ml) buttermilk
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1-1/2 cups (420gm) kimchi, chopped
2 green onions (scallions), sliced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
kimchi, extra, to serve

Place the flour, eggs, buttermilk and fish sauce in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the kimchi and onion and mix well to combine
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. In batches, cook 2 tablespoons of the mixture for 2 minutes each side, or until golden brown and cooked through, adding the remaining oil as necessary. Serve the pancakes with the extra kimchi. Makes 12.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week
Monthly Featured Chef : Donna Hay


9 comments:

  1. Savoury pancakes ?! Yes , pretty please :D Those pancakes look really tasty ! Will pin it , okay ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummm, I love kimchi , this must taste awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, I don't really enjoy kimchi but I love pancakes. So I won't mind having your Kimchi Pancake :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are nice, Joyce. I am not a fan of kimchi, but these pancakes look really tempting that I want to give them a try too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce,
    I like Kimchi fried rice or just as appetiser ... like to try these savoury kimchi pancake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like kimchi but have never made my own. Putting it in pancakes seem like another wonderful way to highlight it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a kimchi fan but I keep buying it rather than making my own. ;-) I need to try making some. Love the idea of using it in pancakes--very fun and the red hue is so pretty on the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do enjoy kimchi, though have not made it for awhile. My daughter made these pancakes last week and I thought they were good. Would like them with an egg on the side, maybe some bacon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never tasted kimchi, but I just bought a jar so I can make Curtis' kimchi fried rice. I do love cabbage and all things spicy so I'm hoping to love it. If I do then I'm definitely making these pancakes because they look very pretty, light and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete