Monday, June 6, 2016

Chicken Fried Rice with Egg and Buk Choy

This week's theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) is Local & Seasonal!"Make any Curtis Stone recipe from his books or online that includes or features ingredients that are growing in your geographic area and/or are locally produced where you live." Well, I've used my homegrown pak choy to cook his simple fried rice for lunch. 


A quick and simple fried rice. I've used leftover cooked jasmine rice from the day before and have used frozen mix veggies (carrots, corn and peas) instead of canned corns. 


Pak Choy and fresh coriander leaves, both from my garden pot. Definitely one hundred per cent locally produced! :)


Chicken Fried Rice with Egg and Buk Choy
(adapted from coles, Curtis Stone)
1 cup long grain white rice, rinsed, drained
1/3 cup canola oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 medium brown onion, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
1/2 x 400gm can corn kernels, drained (I've used frozen mixed veggies)
1/2 bunch buk choy
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 bunch coriander leaves, to serve
4 chicken thigh fillets, skin removed, cut into bite sized pieces
salt & pepper

  1. Cook the rice in rice cooker or according to packet directions with approximately 1-1/2 cups water (375ml) until tender. Transfer to a baking paper lined tray, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
  2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large wok over medium-high heat. Add the eggs and stir with a wooden spoon for about 30 seconds, or until just cooked. Remove fromthe wok and set aside on a plate.
  3. Return the wok to the heat and add another tbsp of oil, season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook for 4-8 mins, or until golden and cooked through. Remove cooked chicken to a plate.
  4. Heat the remaining oil in the wok over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrot to the hot wok and stir-fry for 2-3 mins to soften. Add the cold rice and stir-fry for 2 mins or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the eggs, chicken, corn and buk choy.
  5. Add the soy sauce and sesame oil and continue to stir-fry for 1 minute. Transfer the rice to a large serving platter ; sprinkle with the coriander.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week, 
Local & Seasonal!



11 comments:

  1. When I saw pak choy in the title, I'm pretty sure you're gonna pick them fresh from your garden. I'm right! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! and good week ! but what good this rice with chicken ! Wonderful ! complimentissimii ! Bacione Mirta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a favourite! For me, please double the buk choy for me :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me smile seeing all homegrown veggies and herbs. They look 100% local, no debate on that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delicious way to use leftover rice! (And I'm always envious of what you manage to grow in your pots!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love bok choy and this looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks very good, sometimes simple solutions are the best😀

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I have seen any recipes from Curtis Stone that I don't like, this is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joyce, delicious plate of fried rice with freshly pick veggie from the garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. bad idea checking blogs while fasting ;P. you are a great gardener joyce :). just look at those gorgeous pot of coriander!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love seeing what grows in your garden and how you use it. Truly local indeed! ;-) Fried rice is one of my favorite dishes--for breakfast, lunch, or dinner--this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete