Monday, November 3, 2014

Purple Pickled Eggs

"Stock Your Exotic Pantry", the theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). Pickled eggs are pretty exotic to me, especially when they look such as pretty as these Purple Pickled Eggs. These purple pickled eggs got their colour from a few slices of beetroot. I have seen other pickled eggs recipes from various websites and have always wanted to try at making them. So this is the perfect time to try Diana Henry's recipe, the featured chef at IHCC.



Firstly boil the eggs. I've made only 4 eggs. Peel the eggs, and use a cake skewer or wooden skewer to poke some holes onto the eggs. Put the eggs in a jar. 
The brine is made by bringing to a boil, the sliced beetroot, coriander seeds, cinnamon stick, sugar, dried chilli and white wine vinegar. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Pour the hot brine mixture over the eggs in the jar. Seal and refrigerate once cool. Keep for a few days before eating.


Such pretty eggs! I just love the colour from the beetroot. Makes the eggs looks really pretty in purple! 

How does it tastes like? Hmmm... I ate one on the very next day, and it was a little sour and the insides are not as purple as the ones above. I ate the second egg on the fourth day, as pictured above, the colour purple can be seen, already seeped into the eggs. The eggs are sour, and the whites has a chewy texture, while the york..well, tastes like yorks should be, I find no difference to its texture. It is an interesting pickle and would be great eaten as a side dish or appetizer accompanying a meal such as an Indian Briyani meal (suggested by my sis!). For those of you who love pickles, might like these pickled eggs, though it is not everyone's cup of tea. Would I make this again? I probably would, I rather enjoy eating it but prefer it to be less sour, so I would increase the amount of sugar, add a pinch of salt, reduce the amount of vinegar, to suit my taste.


Purple Pickled Eggs
(adapted from : Salt Sugar Smoke, Diana Henry or here)
14 eggs (4 eggs)
1 litre (1-3/4 pints) white wine vinegar (1 cup)
1 beetroot, sliced (a few slices)
100gm (3-1/2 oz) granulated sugar (2 tbsp)
2 tbsp coriander seeds (1/2 tbsp)
1/2 cinnamon stick (a small piece)
3 dried chillies (1)

  1. Boil the eggs for 10 minutes, then drain, run cold water over them and peel. Make a few punctures in each egg with a slim skewer or a cocktail stick. Set aside.
  2. Mix all the rest of the ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for about 15 minutes. Put the eggs into a sterilized jar and pour the hot vinegar over them. Seal with a vinegar-proof lid and keep in the refrigerator once cold. The eggs will taste better after a couple of days. They'll keep - covered with the vinegar - for about a month.

I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week, "Stock Up Your Exotic Pantry".

grab button for I Heart Cooking Clubs

13 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce, very interesting pickled eggs. Out of curiosity, I might give this a try too and who knows, it might be my cup of tea! Thanks for sharing and regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce, the colour is very pretty! I have tried pickled eggs but I don't like the texture. It was leathery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce, I've not see any pickled eggs, other than tea egg. During my confinement, I loved those hard boiled eggs soaked in the pig trotter with ginger & vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce:)
    Pickled Eggs are very popular around here Joyce. I actually never knew about them or saw one close up until I moved to Pennsylvania. They even sell them in the grocery store. I can't say I have ever tried one though. I've been temepted a couple of times to try them at Easter time. They sure look "purty."

    Thanks for sharing, Joyce...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had pickled eggs but I've also never seen them looking as pretty as yours! I'd definitely try one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time seeing eggs in purple. Look pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce , like pickled eggs , but this is the first time I saw purple one , I am pinning to use at a later date . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joyce, this is so special and so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joyce! The only "pickled" egg that I eat is the salted egg... hehe. First time seeing eggs being pickled, and purple some more! Looks interesting, but I don't think I have the courage to try it... don't think I will like the taste...

    ReplyDelete
  10. How interesting to pickle eggs, I never tried it. Time to begin

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love the color in these eggs. I am definitely going to give them a try! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never eaten pickled eggs, and I've always been a bit intrigued, though I must admit I've also been a bit nervous about what they might taste like. I was looking at this recipe in the book the other day though and thinking I might give them a try. They really do look pretty, and great to get your feedback on perhaps the need for a little extra sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made some pickled eggs and the longer they sit the white of the egg is splitting. Does yours do that?

    ReplyDelete