Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Fish In A Green Sauce & Tomato and Onion Relish

I'm sharing today, Madhur Jaffrey's Fish In A Green Sauce and Tomato and Onion Relish which I served with Lemon Rice, from my previous post.

For the fish dish, according to the MJ, firm-fleshed fish like king fish or salmon are ideal. I have however used stingray instead, since I have some pieces in my freezer which I bought just a couple of days earlier. Stingray is pretty common over here in Malaysia, the most popular method of cooking it, is to marinate it with spices and grill it over a hot fire, and enjoy it with a delicious chilli and lime condiment. We love eating stingray, which I often use for a Nyonya dish. The flesh is firm enough and yet tender and extremely tasty, so I thought I used it for this dish.


The fish is marinated with some spices and then fry on both sides. Remove and keep aside. The sauce is made up of chopped tomatoes, chopped fresh coriander, onion, green chillies, ginger, chilli powder and garam masala, and is seasoned with lemon juice, salt and pepper. For the spices, I have used slightly more than the amount mentioned in the recipe. Madhur Jaffrey has an interesting measurement for the chopped fresh coriander, amount is 1 teacup! I've used a full measurement cup, perhaps a little bit more, as I love fresh coriander. When the sauce is halfway thru cooking, the fish pieces is placed in the sauce, with the sauce spooned over,  cover, and simmer for a few minutes. This is a fairly dry dish, as there is not a drop of water being used. The chopped tomatoes would release its juices and by the time the dish is done, it will be almost dry. A very tasty dish, and an interesting way to cook stingray. There were a few pieces leftover and the next day, instead of reheating it over the stove, since it is already quite dry, I heated it by steaming for a few minutes. The flavours actually improve overnight.


This Tomato and Onion Relish is just so easy, it was done in minutes. A wonderful relish that is just great with any Indian curries.


My weeknight dinner, Lemon Rice, Fish In A Green Sauce, Tomato and Onion Relish.


Fish In A Green Sauce
(adapted from "100 Essential Curries", Madhur Jaffrey)
Serves 2
for the fish
2 good-sized salmon or king fish steaks (about 675gm/1-1/2lb)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp ground turmeric
1/8 tsp chilli powder (1/4 tsp)

for the green sauce
vegetable oil
85gm (3oz) onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 teacup finely chopped coriander
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
2-3 fresh hot green chillies
1 tsp peeled, finely grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp chilli powder (1/2 tsp)
1/2 tsp garam masala (1 tsp)

Step One
Rub the fish on both sides with a generous sprinkling of salt, lots of freshly ground pepper and the turmeric and chilli powder. Rub well and set aside.

Step Two
Put 3 tablespoons oil in a non-stick frying pan and set over high heat. When hot, put in the fish and brown quickly on both sides without letting it cook through. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the onion and garlic to the pan. Stir and fry until the onion browns a bit. Add the green coriander, tomato, green chillies, ginger, lemon juice and salt. Stir and cook over medium-high heat until the coriander and tomato have completely wilted. Spread the green sauce around in the frying pan and check the salt.

Step Three
Lay the fish over the top. Now spoon some green sauce over the fish. Sprinkle the chilli powder and garam masala over the top. Biring to a simmer. Cover, lower the heat and simmer gently for about 10 minutes.


Tomato and Onion Relish
(Timatar Aur Pyaz Ka Cachumbar India)
(adapted from "100 Essential Curries", Madhur Jaffrey)
Serves 4
2-3 medium tomatoes
1 medium onion
1 teaspoon roasted, ground cumin seeds
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Step One
Cut the tomatoes into 5mm (1/4in) cubes. Peel and finely chop the onion. Combine the tomato and onion in a serving bowl.

Step Two
Add the roasted cumin, lemon juice and salt, pepper and cayenne to taste. Toss to mix. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

************

I am linking this post to  :

I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC),  for February Potluck


************

Little Thumbs Up, ingredient for this month is Lemons, an event organized by Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite D.I.Y. and hosted by Grace of Life Can Be Simple.



************


 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg


17 comments:

  1. Fantastic and lovely looking meal. Excellent preparation.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I superbly love the tomato and onion combination! That is so refreshing at any time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very flavourful dish. The sauce and the tomato salsa...nice to serve with rice for a delicious and comforting meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very delicious! I am so lazy when it comes to cooking fish, so I usually avoid it if I could:P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce, you made these two dishes sound and look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce , the dish is so yummy looking , I have to make it soon , salmon is plentiful here and I know this dish will perk up the taste buds . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Joyce, the dishes you made looks very delicious and I like the fragrant lemon rice too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce,

    This is the perfect dish to eat with lemon rice! So tangy and delicious!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG se ve muy delicioso me gusta,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful meal! All the fresh and zingy flavours of the fish and relish complemented by the lemon rice - you have my mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That fish looks so flavorful--I love all of the ingredients and all of that coriander too. ;-) I don't think I have ever eaten stingray before so that is very interesting to me. What a great meal paired with the lemony rice and relish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sure looks good... I love all kinds of Indian food.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness....you have really "wowed" me this meal!! That fish looks excellent, so saucy and flavorful! I'm going to have to pin this recipe and try it with some salmon (I don't think I can get swordfish here). This whole meal really has me drooling. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stingray? How interesting. I would probably use bass or catfish in this. Interesting cultural differences.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Joyce, this fish dish looks amazing, and I would definitely make this with salmon which is very readily available here. Intrigued by your use of stingray though which is pretty much impossible to get here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the way how you have added green sauce with the fish. Thank you for sharing your recipe
    Baked Cod Fish Recipes

    ReplyDelete