Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Garlic Buttered Prawns with Tomato and Coriander

I have bookmarked about half a dozen recipes to try from Masterchef, Australia website, and somehow time seems to slip by real quick this month! Well, this is my second submission to the blog hop event, Cook Like A Star, where the featured chef for September is "Masterchef" organized by my friend, Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids and her co-hosts, Anuja from Simple Baking and Baby Sumo from Eat Your Heart Out.

Now this recipe is not from any of the contestants, but rather from the sponsor, Western Star. Ever since I've seen this recipe, I really wanted to give this a try as we all love prawns in my house!


The recipe calls for 80gm of butter, but I used about 40-50gm. This is a really simple, quick and very easy dish to cook.  It uses lime zest and the juice, and the taste of this dish reminds me very much of Thai cuisine. Surprisingly the recipe does not call for any salt, maybe the amount of salt in Western Star butters are sufficient, but I added in a pinch of salt according to taste. And I used only 1 small lime as I do not want it to be too sour. There's no water required at all for this dish, all the delicious gravy are really from the chopped tomatoes and the juices from the prawns. And I can see why this is recommended to serve with fresh bread, to mop up all the delicious gravy! 


We had this with plain white rice, the gravy is really good eaten with white rice, my kids certainly enjoyed this dish. 






This is linked to Cook Like A Star blog hop, Celebrity Chef for the month September is "Masterchef", hosted by Zoe with co-hosts Anuja and Baby Sumo. Click on the link below to view other delicious yummies!


Garlic Buttered Prawns with Tomato and Coriander
(Masterchef, Australia)
80gm Western Star Butter
3 cloves garlic, crushed
500gm green prawns, peeled and deveined
1 small red chili, finely sliced (optional)
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
finely grated rind and juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup torn coriander leaves
salt to taste (my addition)

  1. Melt butter in a large frypan over medium-high heat until foamy, add garlic, chilli and prawns, cook tossing for 2 minutes until almost cooked through.
  2. Add tomatoes, lime juice and zest and coriander, cook, tossing for 1 minute.
  3. Serve prawns immediately in the pan with fresh bread or tortillas and let guests help themselves.

17 comments:

  1. It looks great, Joyce! I would also cut down the amount of butter, sometimes these recipes are simply too overly generous with oil and sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice... Before reading, I was looking at the photos and thinking "if only I had some bread...". Oh, I would spend A LOT of time at the table enjoying it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any dish with prawns I sure to like:D including this.....looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This shrimp dish looks delicious. I like the look of the broth as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The smell of this dish must be very fragrant and it sure goes well with a bowl of rice! Or two!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. like thai? ooh, i like, if it's not buttery, i will drink the gravy too!i need a napkin now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow your dish got so much juice from the tomatoes! I really liked mopping it all up with bread. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems like an easy dish to cook. There's loads of gravy nice to put on rice, can't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Looks so good & tempting . To bad I'm allergic to prawns but I heard a lot about this dish ! My sister & mom would really love this recipe . :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love prawns. But prawns don't love me ! I'm allergic ! To be killed by a prawn ... Who could believe it ?? ;D
    Your recipe sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love prawns and this recipe looks amazing . Will try them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Feel like finishing that whole plate..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joyce, I've also bookmarked a few but at the end, I think I just leave it with 1 submission. Getting busier these days with the holiday planning. I like prawns very much & this is certainly my "cup of tea!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. wahh...looks so mouth watering lah!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Joyce,

    This recipe is from Western Star... no wonder it requires 80g of butter. I would think 40-50g is more than enough for this dish too.

    This dish must be very delicious knowing that your family was "mopping" all the gravy.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete